Research Log 4: Clubs and Curriculums

The focus of this post is split between the different curriculums and clubs of the 1930’s. What I hope to contribute to the project is a general overview of the social and academic expectations of the women of that time period. By knowing these things I hope my group and I will be able to grasp what the classroom experience is in and share our findings in the final website.

There were eight different curriculum paths women could choose from. The first two were only two-year programs and the rest were four-year. Unlike the curriculums of today, during the thirties students years were specifically planned for them; they couldn’t choose to take a class during their second year when the curriculum states that they must take it during the first year. The four year programs were mainly for principals, specializing teachers (music, home economics, health etc.), and for commercial teachers. I found it interesting that physical education and health teachers needed more education than just an average teacher when these days those teachers are considered to be the least prestigious teacher positions.

There were many clubs on campus as well as a few academic “fraternities”. In 1932 there were: Glee Club, Orchestra, Commercial Club, and Dramatic Club you could also participate in the Bullet and the Battlefield. By the end of the decade the school had added a few more: Cotillion Club, English Club, German Club, International Relations Club, Riding Club, and the Town Girls Club which was a branch of a YWCA and they focused on uniting day students and residential students.

Works Cited

State Teachers College, Student Handbook, 1933-1934 vol.10

State Teachers College, Bulletin, 1930-1931 vol 17(Division of Purchase and Printing)

Carpenter Juanita, Bayonet, Vol 15 1938-39

Mary Washington College, Bulletin, 1938-39, Vol 24 (Division of Purchase and Printing)